Standards & Conformity Assessment
The BEAMA Technical Department engages across the wide spectrum of product legislation and standardisation, representing the interests of members and assisting the markets’ understanding of constantly changing requirements. BEAMA 's success comes about through its membership of:
- Strategic Standardisation committees at National and International level
- The British Standards Institution (BSI), the UK National Standards Body
- Orgalim, the European federation of national industrial associations representing the European mechanical, electrical, electronic and metal articles industries and
- European sectoral associations such as the European Committee of Electrical Installation Equipment Manufacturers (CECAPI) and the Coordinating Committee for the Associations of Manufacturers of Switchgear and Controlgear equipment for industrial, commercial and similar use (CAPIEL).
BEAMA is one of the leading nominating organisation to BSI committees with BEAMA members serving on upwards of 200 standards committees (National, European and International). BEAMA representatives nominated to BSI committees take their brief from the respective BEAMA Groups and usually go on to be appointed from the national committee to represent the UK consensus position in European and International standardisation committees. Participation in standardisation ensures BEAMA members are best placed to influence the everchanging product and system landscape, for instance:
- Digitalisation, connectivity and interoperability of products/systems (Smart products/systems)
- Energy efficient (low carbon) products / systems
- D.C. products / systems
- Digitization of standardisation
BEAMA members are also represented in national and international conformity assessment committees. BEAMA's Technical Director currently serves as a member on the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Conformity Assessment Board (CAB) which is tasked with operational and financial management, of the Conformity Assessment (CA) activities of the IEC. We actively particpate in one of the IEC's Conformity Assessment System, IECEE which is the IEC System of Conformity Assessment Schemes for Electrotechnical Equipment and Components and have visibilty of the other three Systems, IECRE, IECEx and IECQ.
If you would like to find out more about standardisation and conformity assessment and how you could get involved, please contact Raj Vagdia.